Financial matters for the terminally ill

Living with or caring for a person who is terminally ill can put a strain on finances.

Firstly, is the ill person in receipt of a salary or benefits from their employers? If not, have they or their representative notified the benefits office? Also talk to citizens advice bureau, as the DWP (Department of Working Pensions) are not the only Government Department paying out for terminally ill people. If the application for support has been turned down; claim again, or challenge the decision. Goddards handle some 50+ cases every year and in 75% of the cases DWP get it wrong.

Also look at the “Social Care” entitlements. These are managed by the local council, under the newly implemented “Care Act 2014”. Unfortunately local councils still do not fully understand the act and their legal obligations under the Act. Again, if refused help, appeal.

If one is terminally ill; the benefit cap doesn’t apply.

Again one may be eligible for council tax support (or Council Tax Reduction).

In addition the people who are caring for the terminally ill person may be entitled to benefits and support from social services.

And finally, bereaved family members may be able to get financial support from the government through a bereavement payment, bereavement allowance or widowed parents allowance.

The best support for all these areas is “Marie Curie” whose website covers all these problems and their solutions.